Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Peabody and Sherman

Dir. Rob Minkoff. Voices: Ty Burrell, Max Charles, Ariel Winter. **Spoiler alert**

I was a little leery of the idea of a screen adaptation of a cartoon I enjoyed as a child; after all, how many kids today have heard of Peabody and Sherman? Could the irreverence and loopiness that characterized the original animated T.V. series make the transition to the big screen and maybe more importantly, enchant 21st century children?

After a crash course on the nature of the original show, my 8 year old and I sat in a local theater for a special advanced 3-D screening. I have to admit I expected little; feeling the movie little more than a baby-boomer executive's lazy attempt to market a product appealing directly to a middle-age demographic rather than something to titillate kids. I'm pleased to say my reservations evaporated in the next 90 minutes. Not that Peabody and Sherman is stunning children's fare, but it doesn't displease and it often pleases, which isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. It's fun, and that's enough.

I was hoping the one quality of the original series would remain: the smart-alecky, anachronistic behaviour of historical figures Mr. Peabody and Sherman meet. After Sherman foolishly mentions Mr. Peabody's Way-Back machine to an obnoxious school-yard nemesis named Penny Peterson, dog and boy are forced to travel to the past to rescue her. In doing so, they find themselves face to face with historic notables like King Tut, DaVinci, and Marie Antoinette as well as an encounter with mythical Greek warrior Agamemnon.

The movie, I'm pleased to say, does retain the spirit of the original, mixing irreverence and humor while maintaining an adventurous spirit. My favorite character was Agamemnon, who sounds more like a tough, surfer-dude than the fearsome Greek soldier of myth.

I was relieved to find my daughter enjoyed it, which is good news for the filmmakers, who I'm sure are salivating with a franchise agenda. It remains to be seen how other young movie-goers will receive the flick but as I said before, it's fun and it pleased my daughter, so I can't complain.

No comments:

Post a Comment