Monday, March 3, 2014

Some Oscar Thoughts

The 2014 Oscar telecast didn't offer many surprises. I expected Gravity and 12 Years a Slave to walk away with the lion's share of awards though I was hoping the former's accolades would be relegated to the purely technical. Who cares who wins, really, when noone is naive enough to believe artistic merit has anything to do with the nomination and election processes. I enjoyed Ellen Degeneres as hostess though the overly-frequent mingling with the audience wore out its welcome. Ordering pizza for crowd bordered on the anarchic; something the Oscar telecasts need in bundles, while the attempt to have Ellen wander the aisles, making comments and addressing actors seemed something better-suited for her daytime show. The presentations and acceptance speeches were mostly painless. Jared Leto's acceptance speech addressed too many political issues but it was heartfelt. It makes me wince whenever an acceptance speech cites god as the reason for everything in the recipient's life. Matthew McConaughey's speech was just that. I couldn't help but roll my eyes, hoping the nod to the divine would morph into familial praise. I couldn't remember a time when I actually enjoyed all the performances and the nominated songs. U2 was particularly good, as was Idina Menzel and Pharrell Williams. Everyone bitches about the Oscars being too long but noone ever tries to seriously remedy the problem. I myself have never minded; the Oscar telecast comes but once a year so sitting through the camp and the few inspired moments seems like a mandatory rite. The tribute to Wizard of Oz was fun but I wish the Oscars would have celebrated more classic films. At least we didn't get tacky dance and song numbers. I'm glad 12 Years a Slave came away with the Best Picture award though I still think Inside Llewyn Davis should have nominated in some top awards, including Best Picture. I found it artistically superior to Gravity, which in my mind was a technical achievement but an insipid space drama. Noone will ever be totally satisfied with the winning selections but what fun would the Oscars be if one didn't come away a little disgruntled? I have to say I wasn't really looking forward to the awards this year as I have been in years past. There was something inevitable about the nominations; as if the media had decided in November who the contenders would be. Nothing surprised and so nothing really seemed at stake. In years past I could count on personal hostility to certain pictures or actors nominations but this year, with the exception of Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts and Sandra Bullock's acting nods, I felt too tired or bored with everything leading up to the broadcast to truly care. I can say that one Oscar achievenent this year was the ubiquity of African-descent nominees. Chewetel Ojiofor, Lupita Nyong'o, Steve McQueen, and Barkhad Abdi all make up what must be record nominations for blacks in acting and directorial roles. I hope this becomes a trend. But other than this singular development, everything just seemed to be on auto-pilot. Not that any of it matters; for who can name the winners after a fortnight?

No comments:

Post a Comment